Sunday, August 31, 2025
NEWSDAY
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • In pictures
  • Luganda
  • In History
  • Sports
  • Perspective
  • Business
No Result
View All Result
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • In pictures
  • Luganda
  • In History
  • Sports
  • Perspective
  • Business
No Result
View All Result
NEWSDAY
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Sheikh Kirevu’s wives, sister freed after three weeks in detention

The trio was arrested by security forces during a raid on their residence in Busabala-Makindye Ssabagabo Division, Wakiso district on November 18, 2021. The operatives arrested Sheikh Kirevu and shot him dead for his alleged links to the rebel Allied Democratic Forces (ADF).

by www.newsday.co.ug
December 3, 2021
in News
124 4
Kampala Bombs; Muslim cleric killed in Wakiso military operation targeting suspected terrorists

Children of Imaam Kilevu move towards their home after a police search November 18 2021

3.2k
VIEWS

Related articles

Archbishop Kaziimba condemns brutal re-arrest of MPs

Court adjourns Ssegirinya, Ssewanya’s pre-trial over health concerns

March 6, 2023
Kampala Bombs; Muslim cleric killed in Wakiso military operation targeting suspected terrorists

Sheikh Kirevu’s wives whereabouts unknown 8 days after he was killed.

November 27, 2021

WAKISO-UGANDA/NEWSDAY: Security agencies Thursday released the wives of Sheikh Abbas Kirevu after family intensified pressure against the State to have them released unconditionally or charged in court.

Earlier on Thursday, High court Judge Musa Ssekaana had given the State up to December 6 to produce the widows of slain Sheikh Abas Muhammad Kirevu before.

Sofia Nakachwa and Mariam Najjuko have been in custody since November 18, 2021 when their husband was shot in front of them when according to police he tried to resist arrest. Police and the army alleged he was connected to the recruitment of ADF terrorists.

“This is to command you to attend Court in person or by your representative in the High court of Uganda before a judge…immediately after the receipt of this out writ. The bodies of Amina Nabadda.

Justice Ssekaana issued the order following an application by Amina Nabadda and Sofia Nakachwa, both widows of the late Sheikh Kirevu and his sister-in-law, Mariam Najjuuko through their lawyers of Nalukoola, Kakeeto Advocates and Nyanzi, Kiboneka and Mbabazi Advocates.

On Friday, Kilevu’s daughter Leila Nabbosa told Newsday, their mothers had been released.

“We are at home together with them,” Nabbosa said.

The trio was arrested by security forces during a raid on their residence in Busabala-Makindye Ssabagabo Division, Wakiso district on November 18, 2021. The operatives arrested Sheikh Kirevu and shot him dead for his alleged links to the rebel Allied Democratic Forces (ADF).

Police claimed that the deceased Sheikh who was suspected of recruiting people for ADF was killed after he violently tried to resist arrest, a narrative the family has since dismissed as false.

Security has since held Kirevu’s widows and sister incommunicado, which prompted them to sue the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Chieftaincy of Military Intelligence (CMI), the director of Criminal Investigations Department (CID), the commandant of Special Investigations Unit (SIU) and the Attorney General.

Court heard that the three persons were abducted and kidnapped by government security agents and bundled into a vehicle after killing the family head. The lawyers stated that the whereabouts of the three persons remain unknown and there is fear that after the killing of Sheikh Kereru, the applicants could have also been killed.

“That the applicants may be under intense torture and inhuman treatment by the security operatives as is being done to the Muslims arrested as terrorists/ADF,” reads the court documents.

In a sworn affidavit supporting the application, Ibrahim Kirevu, a family member said that he had visited several police stations, which are gazetted detention facilities to try and find the trio in vain.

The lawyers argued that it was in the interest of justice that the court reviews the legality of the arrest, imprisonment and detention.

WAKISO-UGANDA/NEWSDAY: Security agencies Thursday released the wives of Sheikh Abbas Kirevu after family intensified pressure against the State to have them released unconditionally or charged in court.

Earlier on Thursday, High court Judge Musa Ssekaana had given the State up to December 6 to produce the widows of slain Sheikh Abas Muhammad Kirevu before.

Sofia Nakachwa and Mariam Najjuko have been in custody since November 18, 2021 when their husband was shot in front of them when according to police he tried to resist arrest. Police and the army alleged he was connected to the recruitment of ADF terrorists.

“This is to command you to attend Court in person or by your representative in the High court of Uganda before a judge…immediately after the receipt of this out writ. The bodies of Amina Nabadda.

Justice Ssekaana issued the order following an application by Amina Nabadda and Sofia Nakachwa, both widows of the late Sheikh Kirevu and his sister-in-law, Mariam Najjuuko through their lawyers of Nalukoola, Kakeeto Advocates and Nyanzi, Kiboneka and Mbabazi Advocates.

On Friday, Kilevu’s daughter Leila Nabbosa told Newsday, their mothers had been released.

“We are at home together with them,” Nabbosa said.

The trio was arrested by security forces during a raid on their residence in Busabala-Makindye Ssabagabo Division, Wakiso district on November 18, 2021. The operatives arrested Sheikh Kirevu and shot him dead for his alleged links to the rebel Allied Democratic Forces (ADF).

Police claimed that the deceased Sheikh who was suspected of recruiting people for ADF was killed after he violently tried to resist arrest, a narrative the family has since dismissed as false.

Security has since held Kirevu’s widows and sister incommunicado, which prompted them to sue the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Chieftaincy of Military Intelligence (CMI), the director of Criminal Investigations Department (CID), the commandant of Special Investigations Unit (SIU) and the Attorney General.

Court heard that the three persons were abducted and kidnapped by government security agents and bundled into a vehicle after killing the family head. The lawyers stated that the whereabouts of the three persons remain unknown and there is fear that after the killing of Sheikh Kereru, the applicants could have also been killed.

“That the applicants may be under intense torture and inhuman treatment by the security operatives as is being done to the Muslims arrested as terrorists/ADF,” reads the court documents.

In a sworn affidavit supporting the application, Ibrahim Kirevu, a family member said that he had visited several police stations, which are gazetted detention facilities to try and find the trio in vain.

The lawyers argued that it was in the interest of justice that the court reviews the legality of the arrest, imprisonment and detention.


Do you want to share a story, comment or opinion regarding this story or others, Email us at newsdayuganda@gmail.com Tel/WhatsApp........0726054858
Do you want to share a story, comment or opinion regarding this story or others, Email us on info@newsday.co.ug or ,Tel/WhatsApp........0702451828

Categories

  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • In History
  • In Luganda
  • in pictures
  • Lifestyle
  • News
  • Perspective
  • Politics
  • Sport
  • World

Recent Posts

  • 8 Scouts Bosses Charged Over Kaazi Land And Destruction
  • How Speaker Among Defeated Kadaga in SEC

© 2021 NEWSDAY.

No Result
View All Result
  • News
  • Politics
  • Lifestyle
  • World
  • In pictures
  • Luganda
  • In History
  • Sports
  • Perspective
  • Business

© 2021 NEWSDAY.

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Forgotten Password?

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Log In