Kampala. The 71st Makerere University Graduation Ceremony starting Monday May 17 to May 21 will only have a few staff members, Ph.D graduands, Masters Graduands and First Class undergraduate graduands with the rest of the students attending remotely due to covid19 restrictions.
108 students will be conferred upon PhDs; 38 (35.2%) female and 70 (64.8%) male, while 1,160 will be conferred upon Masters degrees; 434 (37.4%) female and 726 (62.6%) male. 115 (33 – 28.7% female and 82 – 71.3% male), 11,151 (5,919 – 53% female and 5,232 – 47% male) and 16 (9 – 56% female and 44% male) candidates will graduate with Postgraduate Diplomas, Undergraduate Degrees and Undergraduate Diplomas respectively.
Although the graduands agree that holding a physical graduation is a threat to their health, the virtual ceremony has cut short their expectations.
Nankya Zena, who will graduate with a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Commerce from Makerere University Business School says that it is sad that her parents and friends will not be present to celebrate her success. Zena says that her friends and relatives had planned to accompany her to the ceremony.
Nakiggude Jamila pursuing a Bachelor in Business Administration notes that it is unfortunate that the ceremony will be conducted virtually. She says that she will miss the physical graduation because it would have been the last time to meet her former classmates.
The Graduation program
DATE: MONDAY, 17TH MAY, 2021
- College of Natural Sciences
- College of Health Sciences
- School of Law
DATE: TUESDAY, 18TH MAY, 2021
- College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
- College of Education and External Studies
DATE: WEDNESDAY, 19TH MAY, 2021
- College of Business and Management Sciences
- College of Computing and Information Sciences
- College of Veterinary Medicine, Animal Resources and Bio-security
DATE: THURSDAY, 20TH MAY, 2021
- Makerere University Business School
DATE: FRIDAY, 21ST MAY, 2021
- College of Engineering, Design, Art and Technology
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences
Do you want to share a story, comment or opinion regarding this story or others, Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org Tel/WhatsApp........0726054858