KAMPALA-UGANDA/NEWSDAY:The Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has asked High Court Criminal Division for more time to respond to an application in which two accused persons in the murder case of General Katumba Wamala’s daughter and his driver are seeking to be released on bail.
The two are Sheikh Yusuf Siraji Nyanzi and Hussein Sserubula alias Imam Muto, a herbalist and boda boda rider respectively.
The two were the first suspects to be arrested in connection to the June 1st 2021, murder of Katumba Wamala’s daughter Brenda Nantongo Katumba and his driver Haruna Kayondo applied for bail about two weeks ago.
They were remanded to Kitalya government prison on the said murder charges and attempted murder of Katumba Wamala who survived with gunshot injuries.
But through their lawyers from Wameli and Company Advocates, the two who have since been slapped with additional charges of attempting to murder Katumba Wamala’s body guard Sergent Khaled Kuboit, by stander Boniface Mucunguzi and terrorism. They asked to be released on bail pending the conclusion of their trial.
According to the prime suspect Yusuf Nyanzi, he is the sole bread winner at home where he has ten children and is not willing to interfere with investigations once released.
On his part, Sserubula told court that the charges against him are bailable by the High Court and that during the case hearing, he will be able to present substantial sureties to qualify for the grant of bail.
However, the parties had previously been directed to file in written submissions but the prosecution did not.
Instead, when the parties reconvened today before the High Court Criminal Division Deputy Registrar Festo Nsenga in his chambers where the press didn’t have access to, the prosecution led by Joseph Kyomuhendo asked for more time.
According to the applicant’s lawyer Geoffrey Turyamusiima, Kyomuhendo told the registrar that he got the instructions on Friday last week to take over the matter in issue and therefore he needed more time for them to make an appropriate response as well as submissions to the application.
The registrar thus agreed with the prosecution and gave them up to Wednesday this week and directed that if there is any rejoinder, the applicants lawyers should put it on court record before Friday when ruling which will be given by the presiding Judge Tadeo Asiimwe will be on notice.
The two accused persons Nyanzi and Sserubula are part of a group of seven including five who were charged and remanded last week by Nakawa Chief Magistrates Court over the same shooting.
The others are; Muhammad Kagugube alias Musiramu alias Mugisha alias Mbavumoja ,Kamada Walusimbi alias Mudinka ,Siriman Ayuub Kisambira alias Mukwasi Koja , Abdulaziz Ramathan Dunku and Habib Ramanthan Marjan.
This group is yet to apply for bail.
Do you want to share a story, comment or opinion regarding this story or others, Email us at email@example.com Tel/WhatsApp........0726054858