Kampala -UGANDA/NEWSDAY: The National Bureau for NGOs on Friday announced it had indefinitely suspension permits of two major human rights nonprofit agencies blaming them of flouting the law.
Nicholas Opio’s chapter Four Uganda and Miriam Matembes CEDU were shut down over reports they failed to file returns and disclose the source of their funding.
However Mr Opio said they would write to the NGO board with evidence they were filing.
“The National Bureau for NGOs has notified us of the indefinite suspension of the permit of chapterfourug for what they term failure to file returns & disclosing our sources of funding. We are working with the authorities to clarify what we believe is a misunderstanding,” Opio wrote on tweeter.
The executive director of the NGO Bureau, Okello Stephen said in a statement that 23 NGOs were operating with expired permits contrary to the law while 15 NGOs had failed to file annual returns and audited books of accounts to the NGO Bureau contrary to section and have other non-compliance issues. 16 other NGOs are operating without registering with the NGO Bureau.
But out of the above list, 39 NGOs had their operations halted while fifteen were indefinitely suspended.
The List of indefinately suspended NGOs.
1. Chapter Four Uganda 2016- 2020
2. Citizens’ Coalition for Electoral Democracy in Uganda (CCEDU) 2019-
3. Femrite Uganda Women Writers’ Association 2017- 2020
4. African Humanitarian Action 2017 – 2020
5. Safe Places Uganda Foundation (SPU) 2017- 2020
6. Citizens Platform for Democracy and Accountability 2017- 2020
7. Growth Networks Uganda 2017- 2020
8. Pallisa Civil Society Organisation Networks 2017- 2020
9. Citizens Election Watch-IT (CEW-I1) 2017, 2019, 2020
10. Youth Line Forum Uganda 2017- 2020
11. Arise Africa International 2018-2020
12.Dotwa Africa 2018-2020
13.Rwenzori Consortium for Civic Competence 2018-2020
14. Centre for Conflict Resolution 2019 – 2020
15. Youth Equality Centre 2019-2020
Do you want to share a story, comment or opinion regarding this story or others, Email us at email@example.com Tel/WhatsApp........0726054858