On 9th April 2021, Prince Philip sadly passed away peacefully at his Windsor Castle home, after over 70 years of service to his Queen and country. During his time by the monarch’s side, Prince Philip has celebrated huge achievements, such as the success of the Duke of Edinburgh award, and the Queen’s many milestone celebrations, such as when she became the longest-reigning monarch.
In November 2007, Prince Phillip visited Uganda with his wife the Queen Elizabeth II to attend the CHOGM. During his visit, he attended an event with his wife the Queen at Kitante Primary School in Kampala.
In memory of Phillip, Newsday brings you photographs of his visit at the school and some funny quotes he made during his life.
Funny from Prince Phillip speeches on World events
He too has won the title of longest-serving royal consort, and he and the Queen also incredibly celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary back in 2017.
From Elton John to the women of the Scottish WI, Prince Philip has put his foot in it with people the world over. We’ve rounded up some of his biggest and most humorous quips…
1. Commenting on the Duke of York’s house in 1986: “It looks like a tart’s bedroom”
2. Overheard at Bristol University’s engineering facility: “It doesn’t look like much work goes on at this University.”
3. Approaching his 90th birthday, 2011: “Bits are beginning to drop off.”
4. At a dinner party in 2004: “Bugger the table plan, give me my dinner!”
5. Shouted to the Queen from the deck of Britannia in Belize in 1994, who was chatting. “Yak, yak, yak; come on get a move on.”
6. At the Scottish Women’s Institute in 1961: “British women can’t cook”
7. Talking to Tom Jones after his Royal Variety Performance in 1969, he asked ‘What do you gargle with, pebbles?’. The day after, he added: “It’s difficult to see how it’s possible to become immensely valuable by singing what are the most hideous songs.”
8. At Duke of Edinburgh Awards scheme in 2006. “Young people are the same as they always were. Just as ignorant.”
9. On a visit to Canada in 1969: “I declare this thing open, whatever it is.”
10. After being told that Madonna was singing the Die Another Day theme in 2002, the Duke of Edinburgh asked: “Are we going to need earplugs?”
11. At a project to protect turtle doves in Anguilla in 1965, he said: “Cats kill far more birds than men. Why don’t you have a slogan: ‘Kill a cat and save a bird?”
12. Talking about his equestrian-inclined daughter, Princess Anne: ‘If it doesn’t fart or eat hay, she isn’t interested.’
13. When talking to designer Stephen Judge about goatee beard in 2009: “Well, you didn’t design your beard too well, did you?”
14. When being questioned on when the Prince of Wales would succeed to the throne: “Are you asking me if the Queen is going to die?”
15. Addressing Elton John he said, ‘Oh it’s you that owns that ghastly car is it? We often see it when driving to Windsor Castle.’ Later, at the Royal Variety Performance watching Elton perform in 2001, he said, “I wish he’d turn the microphone off.”
16. About a Cambridge student who didn’t recognize him: “Bloody silly fool!”
17. To a Scottish driving instructor, 1999: “How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test?”
RIP Prince Philip.
Do you want to share a story, comment or opinion regarding this story or others, Email us at email@example.com Tel/WhatsApp........0726054858