KAMPALA-UGANDA/NEWSDAY: At least two ministers reportedly spent Friday night hiding in Parliamentary buildings after a heightened operation against the Karamoja Iron sheets thieves in which junior finance minister Amos Lugoloobi was detained last evening.
Central Buganda Broadcasting Service (CBS) radio reported on Saturday morning that due to fear of being arrested one minister spent the night in the Parliamentary buildings after the arrest of Mr. Lugoloobi who is being detained at Kira Police station. Karamoja affairs Minister Kitutu was released from Prison after spending in Luzira seven days. She is the person accused to have masterminded the illegal sharing of iron sheets.
There is a growing stampede among President Museveni’s cabinet after 22 of his ministers are suspected to either have stolen or found in possession of iron sheets that were meant for Karimojongs. The Speaker of Parliament Anet Anita Among, the Vice President Jessica Alupo and Prime Minister Robina Nabbanja are among the suspects.
In a statement this week, President Museveni speaking about the matter for the first time called the ministers involved “thieves” whose actions tantamount to subversion.
According to CBS, quoting unnamed State House Anti-Corruption Unit sources, detectives have ringed Parliament waiting for the suspected ministers to come out and get arrested.
“Even when they hide in parliament for a month, we shall wait for them. Law does not permit us to raid parliament,” CBS quoted State House sources as saying.
The iron sheets are part of the mismanaged Shs39b Supplementary Budget meant for goats and iron sheets for the Karacunas (armed youth). The SH-ACU headed by Brig Henry Isoke exposed the alleged theft of the iron sheets and other relief items meant for Karamoja.
Who took what?
1. The state minister of ethics and integrity, Rose Lilly Akello, and also Karenga District Woman Mp took 800.
2. The state minister for Karamoja, Agnes Nandutu received 2000 pieces. She is Bududa district Woman Mp.
3. The Speaker of parliament Anita Annet Among received 500 pieces of Iron Sheets. She is also Bukedea district Woman Mp
4. Vice President Maj. (Rtd) Jessica Alupo received 500 pieces of Iron Sheets. She is also the Katakwi district Woman Mp.
5. The minister of state for Finance, Planning and Economic Development, Amos Lugolobi received 300 pieces.
6. Finance Minister, Matia Kasaija picked 600 pieces of Iron Sheets. He is also Member of Parliament for Buyanja County, Kibaale District
7. Government Chief Whip, Denis Hamson Obua picked 300 pieces. He is also Member of Parliament for Ajuri County -Alebtong district
8. The Minister of State for Agriculture, Bwino Fred Kyakulaga received 300 pieces. He is also MP Kigulu County North-Iganga district.
9. The Minister of State for Relief, Disaster Preparedness and Refugees, Davinia Esther Anyakun got 300 pieces. She is also Nakapiripirit district woman Mp.
10. The Minister of State for Bunyoro Affairs, Jennifer Namuyangu got 300 pieces. She is also a Kibuku district Woman MP.
11. The State Minister for Finance (General Duties), Henry Musasizi took 200 pieces.
12. The Minister for Karamoja Affairs, Maria Goretti Kitutu received 1500 pieces
Do you want to share a story, comment or opinion regarding this story or others, Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org Tel/WhatsApp........0726054858